Translate

Sunday, July 19, 2015

How Can Rest Affect Your Life?

Slow Down, Take Some Rest


WHERE ARE YOU GOING?



What are you working so hard for? What do you want to achieve? Where do you want to go?


Have you ever asked these questions to yourself? What answers did you get?

Some people work hard, day and night because they want to succeed in life. Some do because they want to have more money. Some work hard for fame and prestige.


We all have different reasons for working so hard and sometimes we don’t stop until we get what we want; until we get to where we want to go to.


In doing so, we forget to do one thing – REST! Yes, we work so hard in life that we have already forgotten how to rest. We might have even forgotten that there is such a thing as REST.



SLOW DOWN & ENJOY THE SCENERY



In a recent mass I have just heard, the priest emphasized the importance of REST. He described the importance and meaning of resting so beautifully that I was inspired to write this post for you.


One particular point that I can never forget is when he said that we should all learn to slow down sometimes.


"Slow down and appreciate the beautiful scenery around you. When you run so fast, you miss out on all the beautiful things in life you should be experiencing. Sometimes when you go too fast, you could even lose your sense of direction and you eventually forget where you were supposed to be going to in the end." Fr.Mario Sobrejuanite



MOVING SO FAST IN LIFE



I was deeply struck by what the priest has said; because sometimes I’m one of those guilty of not learning how to slow down in life.


I often worried about what tomorrow would bring. I often thought that working hard would be the answer to everything I wanted in my life.


I used to be one of those people who didn’t know how to rest. I used to work more than 12-hours each day and I used to be okay with it because I was earning more as I worked more.


I worked as an instructor for Nursing students who were in their last year of study. I usually missed out on the important holidays of the year because I was working. I was again okay with it because I was paid more during the holidays.


Sometimes I miss out on my meals because I wanted my work done first before I could stop and take a quick break.


My life has been that way for some time but I didn’t mind it at all because I was okay. I was young and strong and I could work as hard as I could because I knew everything was okay.



A PERSONAL LESSON



Then, I got married and got pregnant. Still, that didn’t stop me from doing my usual work. Until I had complications with my pregnancy and I almost suffered a stroke at the time I delivered my baby.


As if God was sending me signs to think twice about my life, I received tragic news that my immediate supervisor just died of stroke while she was at work, busy running paper works for her students.


I just got out of the hospital when I heard that shocking news and that made me realize one thing – life could disappear with just a blink of an eye.


My supervisor didn’t have any sings that she had any problems with her health; but she died that day in an instant, without any signs, any goodbyes. She just passed away right there and then.


I almost died too, but I was given the precious chance to turn my life around and change. I prayed and thanked God for giving me another chance at life, for giving me the chance to stay longer with the people I cherish most.



SLOW DOWN & FOCUS ON WHAT MATTERS MOST



God has given me a new beginning with my family and from that moment, I finally learned to slow down.


He has given me a second chance at life to appreciate the more important things that I have in my life right now – my family.


He has given me a chance to reflect on my life and think about what matters to me most. The success, money, prestige and the joy that goes along with them are all but shallow and temporary.



GOD IS THE OWNER OF YOUR LIFE



I have learned that no matter how much I earn or how high my achievements are, they will no longer matter once my life is over.


We don’t control and own our life. Our life is merely borrowed and temporary. When God says it’s over, it’s over.


We cannot control where we are going in life. He has already written our destiny. It is up to us to choose how we walk our path towards our rightful destination.


We can run as fast as we can and get lost along the way, or we can enjoy the journey and let Him lead us to where we should go.


I learned to choose the slower but more secure way of God. I have learned to give everything up to Him and let Him lead my life.


Now I no longer worry about tomorrow and the things that are yet to come. I just go along with the flow of life and walk smoothly through life.


I have learned to slow down and appreciate the beauty of life that God has given me. I sleep at night thankful of the day that passed and contented with how I lived it.


I now know what it feels like to have some quality REST. I realized that REST is a GIFT that God has given me to use and treasure.


With resting, I have learned to reflect more about life. I have learned to conquer my worries and fears. REST gave me the chance to connect with my inner self and find peace from within my heart.



EVEN GOD TAKES A REST



Let me share this Bible verse for you to reflect on: Mark 6:30-34



Even Jesus knows our need for REST. He encourages us to rest in times when we are already tired and weary.


He knows just what we need and what we feel. He knows when we are tired and when we are in need.


In the Bible, Jesus showed his disciples how understanding He is as our God. When He saw that His disciples were already tired and hungry, he encouraged them to rest for awhile.


That’s how He cares for us as His children. He gave us the privilege to REST and recover from our weariness.


Even the Father rested on the 7th day, after doing his wondrous work for 6 grueling days.



REST & APPRECIATE YOUR LIFE



If you are feeling tired and drained right now, stop and pray in the stillness of your heart. Reflect on your life and what really matters most to you. Then take the time to REST and appreciate the beauty of life that He has provided for you.


REST and take the time to spend precious moments with the people you love and cherish most.


REST for it is a gift which has been given to you. Grab it and make use of it while it’s still there for you to take.


Sleep tight at night without any worries. Put your trust in God, for He is working on your life even at REST.





Images courtesy of Pixabay




Sources: 

Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.®
 



Did you like this post? Feel free to share it on your social media accounts, bookmark it or subscribe to this blog to get a regular dose of actual life experiences and inspirational stories. Feel free to also express your thoughts on the comment section of this post. I would gladly welcome your comments.

No comments :

Post a Comment